The Monumental Charterhouse of Calci is near Pisa. It is a monastic complex founded in 1367 and was enlarged during the 17th and 18th centuries. It became a state property in 1866 and today it is the home of two museums.
The fortress was built in the 11th century as the residence of the Gherardinghi family and it was transformed and enlarged in the 16th century by Marco Antonio Pasi, an architect of the Este court. It was abandoned in the 18th century. Today it is a city property.
The Camaldolese complex was built around 1030. It was enlarged and decorated between the 17th and 18th centuries. It was abandoned in the middle of 19th century and in the last few years it has been partially restored.
Click on the images to display a full page gallery.