Click on the images to display a full page gallery.
White Tower and Museum
The White Tower, the monument-symbol of Thessaloniki, was once the southeast tower of the city's fortification walls. It was built in the late 15th century after the Turkish conquest of Tessaloniki, and replaced an earlier Byzantine tower. in the 19th century it served as a priison for those servinglife sentences. In 1890, a convict whitewashed it in order to gain his a convict whitewashed it in order to gain his freedom, and its modern name has stuck with the Tower since then. It host the new permanent exhibition on the history of Thessaloniki from its founding down to the present.